Amikacin dosing guidelines (for patients aged ≥16 years)
N.B. See the creatinine clearance (CrCl) calculator in the GGC Medicines App or on NHSGGC StaffNet / Clinical Info section or here for CrCl equation and maximum body weight calculations.
Amikacin dosing guidance
Table 1: Amikacin dosing table
||5.5mg/kg 24 hourly
||6mg/kg 24 hourly
||12mg/kg 24 hourly
||15mg/kg 24 hourly
Amikacin target concentrations
- If CrCl ≥50ml/minutes:
- Peak (1 hour post dose): >35mg/L
- Trough (pre-dose): <2mg/L
- If CrCl <50ml/minute:
- Peak (1 hours post-dose): 15-30mg/L
- Trough (pre-dose): <5mg/L
Amikacin sampling guidelines
- Check peaks (1 hour post-dose) and troughs (end of dosage interval) within the first 48 hours of therapy and every 2-3 days thereafter.
- Dose requirements will change if renal function alters - check creatinine concentration and eGFR daily.
- Please record the exact times of all doses and samples on the request form and the sample times on the sample tubes.
- Seek advice from pharmacy or microbiology if you are unsure how to interpret the result.
- At weekends individual wards, out with QEUH, may have to organise taxis themselves to QEUH biochemistry for concentration measurement. Confirm with local biochemistry.
Content last updated December 2018