Management of Acute Severe Asthma in Adults in A&E
Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN). British Guidelines on the Management of Asthma. Edinburgh: SIGN; revised Jan 2012. (no. 101). Available from www.sign.ac.uk. Algorithm adapted with permission from the British Thoracic Society (# denotes minor changes).
Notes on Potential Discharge from A&E
- In all patients who received nebulised Beta2 agonists prior to presentation, consider an extended observation period prior to discharge.
- If PEF <50% on presentation, prescribe prednisolone oral 40-50mg/day for 5 days.
- In all patients ensure treatment supply of inhaled steroid and Beta2 agonist and check inhaler technique.
- Arrange GP follow up for 2 days post discharge.
- Fax discharge letter to GP.
- Refer to asthma liaison nurse / chest clinic.
*Peak Expiratory Flow Rate - Normal Values
From SIGN Guideline 101 with permission